Leadership Training Workshops
Preparing Couples to Lead
Over its 36 year history, Better Marriages has trained thousands of couples to lead marriage enrichment and marriage education events. Comprehensive training (40 contact hours) equips couples to lead as a team. They are trained in the methods of group process and experiential, hands-on learning. Couples are prepared to lead retreats, small groups, workshops and couple classes. Though couples receive pages upon pages of resources, they are not limited to any specific curriculum. This broad-based training empowers couples to lead any program, class or event and to do so more effectively.
"Leadership Training was the best thing we've ever done for our relationship. We recommend it even to couples who don't plan to lead events, because the in-depth couple experience is phenomenal. We're closer than ever and feel competent and confident to lead any class, program or event for couples." Greg and Priscilla Hunt, KS
Leadership Training is highly recommended for lay couples in organizations that want to develop programs to effectively reach couples.
Leadership Training Workshops
Better Marriages Leadership Training is delivered through a Leadership Training Workshop. The purpose of the Leadership Training Workshop is to help married couples develop skills for leading marriage enrichment programs, classes and events. Each Leadership Training Workshop includes 8 components. These components may be structured in a variety of ways according to the style and preference of the Trainer Couple and the needs of participating couples. The components are:
1. A marriage enrichment retreat. The beginning point for the workshop. Couples will focus on their own relationship in a caring, supportive group.
2. Reflection on the marriage enrichment retreat. Couples will reflect on the retreat experience, focusing specifically on leadership aspects in order to understand marriage enrichment process.
3. Exposure to, and discussion of, a variety of leadership styles, resources and support systems for marriage enrichment. Couples will gain awareness of a diversity of resources. Couples will gain knowledge of a variety of marriage enrichment and marriage education programs as well as a thorough understanding of the purposes and work of Better Marriages. Couples will consider various administrative and marketing factors.
4. Program/Event design. Couples will design a marriage enrichment program or event that they might lead.
5. Practice leadership. Couples will share their event design and practice leadership for a brief time, then receive feedback from other trainee couples.
6. Marital exploration. Each couple will have a period to dialogue about areas of vulnerability and the “growing edges” of their relationship. They do this in an atmosphere of trust and openness in the presence of two to four other trainee couples under the guidance of the Trainer Couple.
7. Reflection, evaluation and growth plan. Toward the end of the Leadership Training Workshop, couples reflect on their learning and growth, evaluate the event and prepare a growth plan for themselves. The Trainer Couple provides one-on-one feedback and consultation to individual couples.
8. Encouragement of continued reading. Couples are provided an extensive bibliography and are expected to continue reading in the areas of marital dynamics, marriage enrichment, counseling, group process and other appropriate areas.
Optional Formats for Leadership Training Workshops
• Traditional Workshop - four and a half consecutive days in a retreat setting
• Traditional Weekend Format - two separate weekends Friday – Sunday
• 4-Step LTW - four distinct modules; half of the modules are provided online and half are provided in two separate weekend workshops.
Schedule and Costs
Leadership Training Workshops are conducted at various times and locations throughout the United States.
The cost of both the traditional, 4-1/2 day format and the the traditional weekend format is $450 per couple, which includes tuition, materials, Better Marriages one-year membership and certification fees. Room and board costs are additional and vary depending on location.
The cost of the 4-Step LTW is $600 per couple which includes tuition, materials, Better Marriages one-year membership and certification fees. Room and board costs are additional and vary depending on location. The cost, per module is:
Module 1: $100
Module 2: $175
Module 3: $150
Module 4: $175
If an organization or a group of at least 5 couples would like training, we are able to schedule a Leadership Training Workshop and provide a Trainer Couple for a specific location as requested.
Chosen from among the best of certified leader couples throughout the world, Better Marriages Trainer Couples have a wide variety of leadership experience. The trainer/couple ratio is low, with events having no more than eight couples per Trainer Couple. This allows for plenty of one-on-one time with the Trainer Couple in order to benefit from their encouragement, wisdom and insight.
The Leadership Training Workshop is the first step toward leader certification. A couple may continue in the certification process once the training workshop is completed. This process involves the receipt of a positive evaluation/recommendation from the Trainer Couple, participation in and leadership of various marriage enrichment programs and events, and the submission of an application.